Saturday, May 18, 2013

Our New Home Church

I actually got to blog today......thanks Meg for letting me have a turn.

One of the first things that we wanted to do when we arrived in Nampula was to find a home church. Our second Sunday here we went to visit this little church. We instantly liked it. It is not far from our house, yet is very African. There is a "village" feel there. This is a well established church in a new location. Last year they decided that to reach their neighborhood they needed to be in the middle of the neighborhood. So they bought a piece of property and constructed this church building. It is definitely a work in progress. 
They are building as they have the money. 

This is the church building. You can see that it is made out of posts, tarps, and tin. 
This is Sunday morning inside the church. It is a rather large congregation.  

We had not attended church but a couple of times when they told me that they wanted me to teach the ladies on Friday afternoons. I didn't say no....which I guess was saying yes! My first week I was so nervous. I had only taught children in Portuguese before! And I had never even been to their Friday afternoon meeting. I spent hours and hours preparing my message. 

Before I got into the Bible lesson I had a speech prepared. I told them that God had sent me here to spread the gospel with them. And, that I had left everyone and everything back in America. And, that I needed them to be my friends and sisters in Christ. I told them that I did not have all the answers and I simply wanted to learn with them. Finally I said, "I want to laugh and cry with you. I want to walk where you walk. I want to be one of you." Well...they said "Alleluia" to that! 

They were kind and attentive the whole lesson. What I didn't realize was that they use the rest of the time to prepare songs and dances for Sunday morning. So, when it was time to dance they put me in the line and expected me to sing and dance.....and I did!

I did say that I wanted to be one of them and they took me for serious!

(All the time I was thinking....my kids are going to be so embarrassed!) 

This is how it works....


At a particular time in the worship service anyone that has a song prepared can come to the front. A few weeks ago, when Lee was out of town, the service leader asked me, by name, in the middle of the service, if I had a song prepared. Oh how I wish I could have thought on my feet better and gone up front and done anything just to embarrass/encourage my girls.

Last Sunday was my African debut!
Here I am getting warmed up!
Then....really getting my groove on!

I can't get these videos to move to the right place.
Just enjoy!



Then there are the kids at this church. They are led by a talented young man who is really good with kids. They sing and dance so well. I pray somehow the girls will desire to be part of this eventually. 

This is a sweet group of young girls that is singing for us.
Can't you see our girls singing with them one day?

Pray for us as we work along side these believers. 

Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment