Saturday, February 25, 2012

Reading Class Starts

On Sundays we attend a village church outside of town. This village is Coalane. Over a year ago, our IMB colleague, Wanne Dina, saw a need in this village. Many of the children were not learning to read. Some of them do not attend school, but some of them who do go to school are still struggling for many reasons. So, she began a weekly reading class at the church. 


I was very excited about this when Wanne told me. Many of you know that I was a kindergarten teacher and I love teaching children. In addition, Meghan loves to teach and has been very disappointed that we have not been able to work with children much since arriving in January. The third bonus is that all of us need to learn how to read Portuguese!


In order to get more children into one school building, the schools use their buildings for half of the children in the morning and half of them in the afternoon. So, we will do a reading class in the morning and then another in the afternoon so that all children can come. This will make it possible for Meghan to go in the morning and Emma and Lilly to go in the afternoon. 


This past Tuesday was the beginning of this year's reading class and we were ready to join in!


Sweet boy that I worked with
Meghan teaching
Look at these faces.....so eager to learn!


Some of our Sunday School girls
Wanne evaluating some of the children
Boys reading as they waited for their turn
This little guy I know of from Sundays.
He is very quiet and I have a special fondness for him, although I do not know why.
He must not go to school because he was at reading class
both in the morning and in the afternoon.  
So many of the young girls came carrying small siblings.
At the end of our class, Wanne and Sally gave out some school supplies that were a reward to the children who came the whole year, last year. We tried to keep the other children out of the church for the few minutes while the supplies were being given out. Lilly and I had the job of keeping guard at the door.....not an easy job!






I will keep you updated on how our reading class is going. Please remember this ministry in your prayers. I would love for the girls to learn to read Portuguese here and improve their language usage. I also pray for my girls to develop their relationships there. More than anything, I want these children and their families to know the Lord personally!


Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment